Saturday, August 21, 2010

Re: Love21

I'm assuming by the name that Forever21 promotes the idea of being able to dress as if you are in your early 20s... forever. It's popular with teens, young women, and adults who want to get in touch with their younger selves.

Consider their new line coming soon: Love21, dedicated to stylish maternity clothes.

I don't have anything against people opting to get married or having children before or after 18 (or 21 for this matter), and I am also all for stylish maternity clothes no matter how terrifying it may look.

It makes me uncomfortable that they will be selling these clothes in a place that teens frequent. When I saw their ad today, it made me feel like Forever21 was supporting pregnancy at a young age.

"It's okay if you're pregnant, we can make you pretty!" -- we've made pregnancy stylish!


Considering the "21" at the end of their name, I'm not bashing 21-year-olds with babies. Teens frequent the store and I worry about what ideas get in their heads.
I feel like this is an equation for disaster that will lead to a rise in teen pregnancies.

"Wait, I can still be sexy while pregnant? Well that's not too bad..."

God, I hope not.
I hope they are more responsible than that.
There's more to life than finishing high school, getting married to your high school sweetheart, and having babies. Wait it out.

Stylish maternity clothes are great, but please keep them out of stores that unknowingly irresponsible teens love.

No comments:

Post a Comment